Working out the terms of Moral Justification is an unending task

 No one really knows what happens once we die, except Doug Forcett if you catch my drift. But just the fact that it's always looming on the horizon. The fact that it could be in ten minutes or 10 decades is perhaps what makes life so special. We humans take it so lightly, so cheap is human life that over 431,000 people are estimated to have died in the last year by the act of murder. And 134,000,000 people are supposedly born too. While the number of deaths may look insignificant by comparison, it still amazes me just how much we do not appreciate life. Just talking about the living humans, so many have suicidal tendencies. While I am not taking away from their pain, trauma and general sufferings they've had to endure, it truly hurts me to see them think so. These sweet souls have been hurt way beyond what they can handle and it feels almost unfair. Perhaps it is, and I hope that their suffering or the act of unaliving themselves would bring them at peace in the end somehow. But to see so many people joke about killing themselves so casually, just a throwaway comment or a snarky retort about ending their lives when they haven't exactly earned the right to do so is what concerns me. I wish I could find a way to help them out. Because it may look like they don't respect life, but in truth they've just been unfairly wronged by the system. The system, whether flawed or impeccable, it stands in their way of inner peace. While a little town boy like me can't change the system, I can atleast put out some good in the world whenever I can.


And I think that is what can salvage the human race. ARK. Noah was asked to build an Ark to survive the impending Tsunami. And he, while skeptical, did as he was told which saved life as we know it from total extinction. Whether you choose to believe the story or call it fiction, just the act of random kindness by one man somewhere in the world can potentially save millions of lives. And I think that was life is all about. ARK. An Act of Random Kindness. Now I know I'm ripping off Evan Almighty. But it's not ripping off if I give it a shoutout. So here's a shoutout to otters holding hands while they sleep. 


But in all seriousness, we all think from time to time that just me, one random person in some random part of the world doing something good to some random stranger couldn't possibly be as rewarding as we hope, right? I mean, just helping out a stranger with directions on the street doesn't make you a Hero, does it? Well, it does. Maybe not a HERO, but it makes you an everyday friendly neighborhood hero. And that brings me to the title of this post. Working out the terms of Moral Justification is a never ending task. In his book, What We Owe To Each Other, Scanlon talks about moral justification being a concept where everyone decides unanimously over a set of rules that they are all okay with. And that can't be achieved until everyone is satiated. A set of rules that you can morally justify following. Like killing one another being a no no. That we can all as a society agree on. But this is where the problem stems from. Because our society also consists of people who lie. They publicly agree that yes, killing is bad. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't do it when provoked. Whether they're provoked by fear of their lives, or anger, when they follow through on this intrusive thought, I have no choice but to deem them hypocrites. But even as I say it, I know for a fact that I am capable of it too. Just like everyone else. When push comes to shove, it's perhaps unavoidable. And I too may end up being a hypocrite to own principles. And that worries me more than anything. Thus, Moral Justification is an unending task that we shall tackle till we breathe our last lung full...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inner Demons, Outer Sermons

Ah shit, here we go again...

The Heart is an Arrow, It Demands Aim to Land True